Top 5 Reasons Why Electrical Earthing / Grounding for Home or Residential Building is Essential?
- The primary objective of electrical earthing at home is to safeguard human life against the perils of electric shock by creating a safe path for the current to flow, thereby eliminating the risk of injury or fatality to the user.
- Electrical Earthing also helps to safeguard residential buildings, household equipment & appliances like air conditioners, refrigerators, washing machines, Laptops, motors, Iron, chimneys, and other electrical appliances in the event of faults or malfunctions.
- It regulates the voltage level across the entire electrical system, thereby preventing any possibility of overcurrent or excessive voltage to any appliance or equipment.
- It also offers a secure path for the dissipation of lightning and short-circuits currents, thus ensuring safety against electrical hazards.
- It safeguards against static electricity arising from friction, thereby ensuring safety against any potential electrostatic discharge.
Before we explore further let us understand,
What is Electrical Earthing?
Electrical earthing, also known as Grounding, is a safety measure in electrical systems that involves connecting the non-current-carrying parts of an electrical system to the earth. The purpose of electrical earthing is to provide a safe path for the current to flow to the earth in the event of a fault, thereby reducing the risk of electrical shock or fire. It is achieved by connecting the metallic parts of electrical equipment and appliances to an earth electrode or ground rod buried in the earth. This helps to maintain the voltage level of the system and protect against electrical hazards caused by lightning, static electricity, or short circuits.
What Can Happen if Electrical Earthing is Not Done Properly?
If electrical earthing is not done properly, it can pose serious risks and hazards to individuals and property.
Some potential consequences of improper earthing include:
Electrical shock: Without proper earthing, electrical currents may not have a safe path to flow in the event of a fault, leading to the risk of electrical shock and injury to individuals who come into contact with electrical appliances/equipment.
Fire hazard: Improper earthing can lead to electrical arcing, which can cause fires and damage to property.
Damage to Electrical Equipment: Lack of proper earthing can cause fluctuations in voltage levels, leading to damage or premature failure of electrical appliances & equipment.
Malfunctioning of Sensitive Electronic Equipment: Sensitive electronic equipment such as computers, air conditioners, refrigerators, & other electrical appliances may not function correctly without proper earthing, leading to malfunctions or even complete failure.
3 Steps to Take to Ensure Proper Electrical Earthing?
For effective electrical earthing, it is crucial to maintain low earthing resistance, which can be achieved by following a series of steps.
- The initial step involves conducting a geoelectric study of the soil to determine its resistivity, which can aid in optimizing the earthing project. InterTech Offers an Audit of the Electrical Earthing of your home that helps us to design the most efficient earthing system possible.
- The use of durable, long-lasting & high-quality earthing materials is essential for achieving a reliable and effective electrical earthing system.
- Continuous Monitoring of Earthing Resistance should be done for the safety of individuals and machinery. Any changes or faults in the electrical earthing system must be rectified at the earliest.
InterTech brings to you a sustainable, maintenance-free, world’s best earthing solution “Marconite” that offers trouble-free and consistent earthing for 50 years. Marconite is environmentally friendly & is non-corrosive in nature. Also, the system does not require any water/chemical charge for the whole life span of 50+ Years.